MSK Centre offers a variety of concussion management services
What is a concussion?
A concussion is an impulsive force (acceleration or deceleration) that is transmitted from the body causing an injury of the brain within the skull. A concussion is a functional injury that causes an energy deficit and temporary reduction in blood flow. Less than 10% of individuals will lose consciousness.
Symptoms can evolve over time and may include headaches, neck pain, dizziness, balance problems, nausea or vomiting to name a few.
Some of the concussion management services offered at MSK include:
- Exertional testing for return-to-sport readiness and sub-symptom threshold exercise programs for persistent symptoms.
- Vestibular oculomotor assessment and rehab:
- At MSK, our experienced provider utilizes Saccade Analytics. It is a state of the art, virtual reality eye-tracking technology.
- Saccade Analytics records data from 12 cameras (6 per eye) and extremely sensitive gyroscopes.
- This revolutionary technology is a game changer for patients with a concussion or vestibular dysfunction, as it provides an objective measurement of brain function.
- Saccade Analytics is the product of over 60 years of research on eye and head movement. It was developed by Dr. Mimi Galiana, a professor and researcher from McGill University who is a leading expert in the field of vestibular ocular dysfunction with over 200 publications.
- For more information please visit, https://www.neuroflex.io/
- Cervical spine rehabilitation.
- Baseline Testing:
- Balance, cognition, memory, reaction time, visual processing, and neurocognitive testing (DANA).
- Pre-season baseline and/or post-injury/return to sport testing.
- Educational resources
We also take motor vehicle accidents and WSIB injuries.